Are You In the Water?

Hi friends,
Hope you are all having a great start to 2015!
 I was studying for my Sunday School lesson last week (I teach Kindergarteners). We were learning about Jesus walking on water and Peter getting out of the boat to walk on the water.  I know the story very well, but always like to refresh myself and reread it before teaching.  It's awesome though because God always shows me something new even when I read a well known story.  As I was reading Matthew 14, I thought about the faith that Peter had when he got right out of the boat and started walking to Jesus on the water.  When Jesus told Peter to come to Him, the Bible doesn't say Peter hesitated.  He may have, but when he got out and started walking to Jesus, his faith was strong enough to keep him from drowning.  I personally think he was pretty confident in Jesus's strength upon entering the roaring waters.  Peter began to sink only when he took his eyes off of Jesus.  He began to look around at everything that was against him: the waves, the storm, and the wind.  Jesus still took care of Peter even when he started doubting, but what an awesome miracle he was participating in while walking on water.  When Jesus reached out and grabbed Peter, He asked him why he began to doubt.  God's power is so magnificent and we all too often forget that.  We step out in faith like Peter, but then begin to doubt.  I think we too, make faith based decisions and then look around and forget the God that we serve.  He can do miraculous things!  I often deep down know that God has everything under control, but I still want to take matters into my own hands and worry.  It's hard to trust and keep trusting after time, especially if God has you in a waiting period.  I do know that no matter what, God will never let you down.  When you begin to doubt God, start praising His name.  I have found so much comfort in praising God with statements such as, "You will not fail me. You are holding me by my right hand. You are good.  You will never leave me or forsake me."  Those things are all true, and God's peace fills me when I pray those words! You can walk on water too if you keep your eyes on the One who made the waters with His words! It's okay to step out of the boat, and often I think we do.  We seem to fail just like Peter after traveling the path just a little ways when we think of all the things that could go wrong.  Just keep walking.  Keep trusting.  Keep waiting. Keep praising.

Matthew 14:28-31- " And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

Deuteronomy 31:8- "And the Lord, He it is that doth go before thee; He will be with thee, He will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed."

Isaiah 41:13- "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Comments

Popular Posts